Apple’s new maps miraculously now work perfectly thanks to Tim Cook’s apology

That’s what I’m hearing. People around the world who were having problems with the new maps say that within hours of Tim Cook’s apology the software miraculously started working perfectly. Customers are happy, Apple has won, Google is screwed, and, in a tiny church in a remote village in Portugal, a painting of Steve Jobs (above) has started weeping real tears, all thanks to that simple, miracle-working apology. Oh, the power of contrition! By lying, but then apologizing for lying, Apple now has become stronger than before. The story is spreading like wildfire, told by Farhad Manjoo on Pando and Drew Olanoff on TechCrunch. See, in the new “perception economy,” the core deliverable is no longer the product itself, it’s the way you talk about the product. The message is the product. They are one and the same. Ergo, a company doesn’t need to make a good product; it just needs to persuade customers that the product is good. See the difference? Even when you ship a bad product, if you apologize for it, now it’s good. It’s all about perception. Or persuasion. Or how your attempts at persuasion are perceived. Something like that.

11 Responses to “Apple’s new maps miraculously now work perfectly thanks to Tim Cook’s apology”

1. Alex de Soto

I too was pissed off at the Maps app. Even my house is left out of the standard view! However, I have to say I am impressed with the performance of the app as it renders very quickly and accurately reflects my location while driving around Philadelphia. The graphics are easy to read and the alerts are spoken right when you need them.
    I never used the old Map app or Google to navigate, opting for the expensive but excellent Navigon app. Navigon has served me well even while travelling. Google Maps are near perfect but not without flaws. It cannot find my office location unless I enter an address that nobody recognizes.
    Apple was wrong in using its typical marketing hyperbole when describing the new app. So the apology and the retraction of its claims online are welcomed in my house. Apple’s promotion of countless map apps while they work on improving their own is also laudable.
    Shipping a bad product is not unique to Apple, yet one never expects them to ship one, past evidence to the contrary. Remember the puck-shaped mouse? Folks unhappy with a bad product should return it to the seller and be done with it. Let’s hope Tim Cook can fix Maps, Siri and Apple’s so-called manufacturing sins.

2. FBIndie

I loved this quote from Pando, apparently this is a win for Apple:

“Can you recall the company ever telling people that something it made isn’t as good as something made by others?”

Telling people that something you made isn’t as good as something made by others is recognized as a sign of victory in some cultures. Sadly these cultures were all wiped out by Spanish Conquistadors in the 16th century.

3. Dave

Dan’s posts are the equivalent of an exasperated chimp throwing faeces at other, more successful chimps.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

4. Kevin Kunreuther

I’ve rolled my Apple and Google holdings into Amazon headed by Reddy Kilowatt, that company’s Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy is gonna’ roll over everyone, While Apple acolytes and the Googlebois battle royal it out with their opposing scorched earth policies in the courtroom. It tain’t pretty, it taint ugly, but dang it works, even in milk.

5. Bill Rosenblatt

To me, the maps fiasco is prima facie evidence of a company whose management is out of touch with technical details. Any engineer experienced on mapping applications can tell you that they require lots and lots of hand-tweaking and that time is the only way to do that. It’s highly likely that some techies at Apple tried pointing this out and were ignored or told to go pound sand.

WWSD? Not release a product that, by definition, can’t be made ready in such a short time. Wouldn’t have happened. This does not bode well for Apple’s future.

6. Rick

I’m getting kinda bored of the map bashing. I’ve had every 2nd phone from Apple since the first rev. And they do get better and better. I thought perhaps the absence of issues I had with the map were due to my being in SF. But last weekend I took the turn by turn directions on a trip to Cayucos from San Francisco and in 200 miles of driving I only had ONE blank spot on the map during a 2 minute window along the 46 between the 101 and the coast where there was NO reception whatsoever.
    I don’t get all the hub-bub. I think some folks just like the hate Apple. The turn by turn nav is a huge improvement and the voerall map quality is very nice. Amazing what all the complaining has done to the share price this last week.